Monday, February 21, 2011

Cheers to Snow? Am I crazy?!

Yesterday I knew my parents were going to have today off because today is President's Day and those lucky ducks are teachers.  Then a surprise snow came...they started complaining "man, we would have had a snow day tomorrow, I can't believe we are wasting it"

Say whatttt!!!  Are they really saying this? I don't get snow days, I still have to wake up at 5:15AM and face the scary roads and people with 4-wheel drive zooming past my little focus. 

 ****side note to the people who say "if you live in MI you should have 4-wheel drive, so I don't want to hear you complain".  When you decide to pay for my car/gas then you can talk to me.

This morning I decide...Ok Brittney, you have to go to work today regardless of the snow, embrace it and wake up with a smile on your face.  That smile turned into quite the look when I walked out side and realized it snowed EVEN MORE.  I finally get my car brushed off, start backing out of the drive way and BAM, I'm stuck.  After 10min of trying to get "un stuck", I wake up the sleeping bear...my step-dad.  Another 5min and I'm cruising (not before rolling down my window to yell THANKS JT!!! and a large amount of snow crashes on me inside my car). 

Ok after all that I'm still thinking no reason we can't still have a good morning right, I might as well stop and get a coffee, it is after all $1 Monday at Biggby.  What happens? I get stuck AGAIN!  At this point I have already text my manager and informed him that I would be late, he calls back as I'm trying to get un-stuck for the 2nd time and says just stay home, if the roads clear later and you want to come into the office you can.  So I decide to just campout here at Biggby and get some work done...I DO NOT want to get stuck again. 

In honor of the lady who informed me if you have front wheel drive GO SLOW or you'lll dig your self in a hole, I decide to look up tips for driving in the snow.  I've had my license for 7 years now, you'd think I would have looked this information up a long time ago.  Nope, not me, so to save you from this...here's what I found.

1. Give yourself time and be patient.  We all hear it but, it's better to arrive late opposed to not arriving at all.
2. Leave PLENTY of space between you and the car in front of you.  No sense in making your commute even more nerve wracking by ramming into the car in front of you.
3. Never hit your breaks hard.  Either slowly press your breaks to slowly slow down or tap your breaks
4. Pay attention and try to predict slowing traffic and light changes so you have time to react properly
5. Do not assume your car can handle it
If you get stuck...
1. Don't spin your wheels, you'll dig yourself deeper
2. Turn your wheels side to side a few times to push snow out of the way
3. Use a light touch on your gas to ease car out
and as my mamma always says...
1. Always make sure your gas tank is full so it doesn't freeze
2. Always have windsheild wipper fluid
3. Keep a blanket and bottles of water in your car just in case you get stranded...my advice add in a book, cosmo, snacks, and people magazine.  You're going to want more than water and a blanket if you're stranded!

  My camp-out spot until I decide to brave the roads again.

No comments:

Post a Comment