Monday, February 7, 2011

Cheers to Finding the Good in the Bad

Today I received the news that my cousins house burned down this morning.  Her and my aunt (her grandma) are in MI visiting right now which means no one was hurt and the animals were all at "babysitters".  GCH has had to deal with more than any 18 year old should have to deal with, it broke my heart hearing this news from her today...seeing as she isn't here, I'll leave her story to her.

The news brought me back to my senior of high school, when my house burned down.  I remember going to bed that night not having a toothbrush, deodorant, make up, anything.  Those all sound like such silly things to miss, but those are things we often take advantage of.  How lucky we are that those are considered silly things to miss, some don't have that luxury.

I was at work when I heard the news, MC and her mom picked me up and took me to my house.  When I got there my brother was sitting on the curb by himself, my mom was in hysterics, and my little sisters where keeping warm in a neighbors house.  MC and her mom later went and got hot chocolate for everyone and soup; this was in October, so it was freezing outside and we were out there for a longgg time.  MC's mom also spent time praying with mine.

In the end no one was hurt and our cat (who is indoor/outdoor) was outside.

The way people came together for my family during this time was unimaginable and so so much appreciated.  MC gathered a bunch of people from our senior class to go around the neighborhood to ask for cash donations or cans and bottles they could recycle.  MC being the cutie she is created a scrapbook of the whole thing.  Not only was it freezing that day, it was also the day of the halloween dance at school, and as we all know, dances take a while to get ready for, so they also took time out of getting ready to help.  A few days later, everyone met at a restaurant and presented the money they collected for my family, the scrap book, and a gift card for me to a spa.  This is something I will never ever forget, I never expected it, I will always hold this near my heart.  I told MC today, every time I'm telling this story, then only part that chokes me up is this.  Among MC and everyone did,  families donated clothes, blankets, make up, you name it, it was given.  I was a student aide for a sewing class, which was also the class my favorite teacher taught.  My favorite teacher, Mrs. Bosckay kept sending me on errands one day, when I arrived from the last errand, I walked in to all the girls with a bag of clothes for my sisters and I and a card.  I cried...the gifts just kept coming.  Gifts came from everywhere, I still have all the cards that were given to me during that, and I'll always keep them.

Loosing your home and all of the pictures and memories is a hard thing to grasp.  I shared a room with 2 little sisters, on an air mattress for at least 7 months.  There were many other things going on in my life at that time as well.  We have to remember to always give thanks in bad times.  Be thankful and grateful for everything you do have, for the people in your life that love you or reach out to you.  For the people you had no idea they even knew you existed but cared enough to reach out.  The strangers who reach out because they truly care. Be thankful you still have the memories that those pictures showed.

I don't have any pictures of MCs event on my computer right now, but I will have one posted soon.


Here are some pictures I have of my family and in 2006 (my senior year of HS)

My brother and I before Prom...this is at our new house.  
My mom was engaged at the time our house burned. Because of everything, they had to buy a new house a little quicker than planned.  Props to JT for giving up his bachelor lifestyle and moving in his fiance and 4 kids.  Without him I'm not sure what we would have done.

My favorite teacher and I in 2006...notice above I spent some time in the tanning bed before prom

I have to scan more in 

Ohhh and tooth update! Yesterday, I forced myself to eat solid food.  
1. Because I was craving Potbelly 
2. I think I was getting irritable because my family kept asking me "what's wrong" and I'd say "IM HUNGRY"

So, I went to Potbelly got a sandwich and actually ate it, hurt a little but I think it was because I was babying my gums so much.  I get my stitches out tomorrow!!! eek hope it doesn't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment