Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cheers to New and maybe not so comfortable experiences

Ok, so I'm all for new experiences and learning about new cultures and traditions, in fact I love it!

Friday and Sunday(yes Superbowl Sunday) I had 2 very new yoga experiences. 

Friday I went to a Yin Yoga class with my brother's girlfriend.  If you aren't sure what Yin Yoga is, its a yoga practice that focus on flexibility more than strengthening by hold poses for long periods of time.  I was super excited for this, I'm all about working on flexibility and well I love yoga.  Sunday the class was at a studio by my house that I've been wanting to try out, the actual practice there was more of your traditional practice. 

Well so why were these not so comfortable but still exciting experiences?

I normally take yoga at work, an instructor, whom I loveeee btw, comes to our gym and teaches a class, so it's not in the traditional setting. 

Yin Yoga was in a loft with tea light candles all around in Eastern Market Downtown Detroit.  Such a calming atmosphere...well until everyone started making strange noises! At one point she told everyone to start making their favorite animal noise!  Now mind you these poses are not cozy and can bring some pain, you're hold them for like 3 min. so I get the sighs.  (Yoga breath is normally done all through the nose).  These noises however were was as if they were having a spiritual experience during the posture.  I understand for some yoga is just that a spiritual experience, for me its more for calmness, strengthening, and flexibility, so I was taken aback.  So what did I get out of this... holy cow those people are sooooooooo bendy! Annddd while yin yoga might not be for me, the studio offers classes on ariel yoga and trappezee! I'm looking into signing up and I can't wait!

Sunday's Yoga class...I've never been in a class where they actually chanted, in fact I didn't even know they did that.  So as we were preparing for the class to start imagine my surprise as everyone starts saying "ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" in unison.  Once the class ended, our instructor didn't say a word and walked out of the room and no one said a word to each other.  Now I am a very social person, and my goal in trying this studio was to find a "community" feel studio and to increase my knowledge in yoga while strengthening.  I think I am going to try this studio one more time and while they are ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmming, take that time to pray.  I really enjoyed the actual practice and wow the people in that class were so strong, a woman held a forearm stand for 2min!

I also received a groupon deal for a month unlimited at a yoga studio near by called Detroit Yoga, it was only 30$! I couldn't pass it up, so maybe I'll find what I'm looking for there?

Anywho...moral of the story, try new things, respect other cultures, traditions, and practices, even if its not for you.  It's ok to be uncomfortable and you can still get something out of it, I did.

Song I feel like:: Fiona Apple-Extraordinary Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment